There seem to be two main skincare concerns as we enter our 40’s and beyond… wrinkles and sagging skin.
The four main reasons why wrinkles and sagging occur:
1. Sun damage to the outer layer of skin (epidermis and dermis).
2. Loss of soft tissue fullness and other structural support UNDER the skin.
3. Repetitive facial movements such as frowning, smiling, smoking, laughing and even drinking through a straw.
4. Poor general health habits, such as improper nutrition, smoking and limited exercise.
There are those that have few concerns with wrinkles and sagging well into their 70’s, while others in their 40’s begin to have challenges with aging skin which can be due to excessive sun exposure, using tanning beds, lack of exercise, poor nutrition, a history of smoking or an ineffective skincare regimen. But there is hope! Wrinkles canbe reduced with a daily skincare program! However, there is some the bad news… despite the infomercial products you regularly see on TV, there are no skincare products that can reduce or eliminate sagging skin. It is unfortunate that companies are allowed to market products with unrealistic claims. Your only option to address sagging skin appears to be to seek qualified medical attention.
So, let’s focus on what we can do to help our skin look its best! Here is our suggestion for a good basic program for skin over 40:
A gentle cleanser in both the morning and before bed. If you like foamy, try SkinCeuticals® Gentle Cleanser.
• SkinCeuticals Gentle Cleanser is a non-irritating cream cleanser designed to purify the skin while diminishing feelings of discomfort. Designed for sensitive or traumatized skin, this non-irritating cleanser calms and soothes, as it removes excess oils and debris, leaving the skin feeling pure, fresh and comfortable. Quality skin care backed by dermatological science.
A great moisturizer. For dry skin, we suggest SkinCeuticals® Triple Lipid Restore 2:4:2.
• The idea behind SkinCeuticals Triple Lipid Restore is to help you maintain healthy skin by infusing it with moisture. Giving skin cells ample moisture can play a big role in ensuring proper and efficient skin cell function. Further, effective hydration can also strengthen the skin’s natural moisture barrier.
A great antioxidant. Our choice is SkinCeuticals® C E Ferulic® Serum.
• SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic is a powerful treatment backed by essential vitamins and antioxidants designed to eliminate hyperpigmentation and prevent future damage from the sun and elements. Who is this for? Ideal for those with photo-damaged, hyperpigmented, dry and sensitive skin.
A great retinol. SkinCeuticals® Retinol 1.0 Maximum Strength Refining Night Cream.
• Retinol is a form of vitamin A (retinoic acid) that is clinically proven to help improve the appearance of aging skin. Retinol is shown to help improve uneven skin tone, promote cell turnover, and improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
And a MUST, if you go outside at all, is to use a zinc oxide sunscreen. The best we’ve found is SkinCeuticals® Physical Fusion UV Defense SPF 50.
• Physical Fusion UV Defense SPF 50 is a weightless fluid that combines 100% mineral filters with translucent color spheres for effective broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection and an even, radiant finish. This high protection zinc oxide sunscreen also contains artemia salina, a plankton extract known to increase skin’s resistance to UV- and heat-induced stress.
This is the daily skincare process that we suggest you follow:
In the morning – cleanse, antioxidant, moisturizer, eye cream, and sunscreen.
Before bed – cleanse, moisturizer, eye cream, wait 5 minutes, a small amount of the retinol all over your face (not near the eyes).
You may of course add to this basic skincare program. The next steps in the skincare process you can add would be to add exfoliation and a toner.
Exfoliation – The best is SkinCeuticals® Retexturing Activator. This oil free serum simultaneously exfoliates skin and replenishes moisture for radiant, smooth skin. Exfoliate two to three times a week to remove dead skin cells and helps with product penetration.
Toner – The best toners are either SkinCeuticals® Conditioning or Equalizing Toners. Clarifying toner softens and refreshes skin with a hydroxy acid complex to refine skin texture and minimize pores. Equalizing Toner is an exfoliating toner that helps refresh skin and smooth skin texture while removing excess residue.
Like with most anything in life, you probably will not see any immediate results. But after initiating your skincare regimen, you should begin to see the results in four to six weeks. More importantly, you will slow the aging process of your skin and look your best!